Problem with newly created accounts at Google Apps Mail

I had a very bad day yesterday with Google Apps Mail. This service is good overall, but this time was exception.

I newly set up a Google Apps account and created several user accounts last Friday. I used my administrator account to login and did some settings. Yesterday when other users wanted to login Google Apps Mail, they encountered this error:

The page isn’t redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

* This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept
cookies.

The symptom was – Google was jumping between www.google.com and mail.google.com in an endless loop. I tried various browsers on different machines and had the same problem. Only Google Apps Mail was affected, while Google Apps Calendar, Documents and Sites were all right. And only user accounts created last Friday but never login until Monday were affected, while my account and newly created test account on Monday were all right.

I tried all suggested solutions in vain –

  • clear cookies
  • restart browser, even machines
  • disable and re-enable Mail, Docs service
  • login as a mobile user
  • change “passive” and “rm” parameters in redirecting url

I tried to report this problem to Google but found nowhere to report (just because it is a free standard account?) I suppose it was a synchronisation problem among Google millions servers, which could be solved by itself giving time. However I was not sure of the time scale, so the final solution came up at the cost of losing incoming emails during weekends –

I deleted user accounts and re-create them. (Here comes another episode – Google won’t allow a newly deleted account being created within 5 days. The workaround is creating another user account and aliasing the old one.)

Related Posts

2 Replies to “Problem with newly created accounts at Google Apps Mail”

  1. Yup, I’m in the same boat. I think it has something to do with how the CNAME entry is setup. If you edit your DNS settings through WHM and cPanel to insert a CNAME entry I think it causes problems. I’m still looking into this…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *